Finding EMT jobs is actually really simple; you just need to put in some time to explore all of the opportunities around you. Once you have qualified and certified as an EMT, it’s not as challenging to get a job. In most countries, EMTs are in demand and it is easy to get a job, so as long as you are certified, you have nothing to worry about!
Of course, there are some important things to note before considering a job as an EMT;
- You need to have a high school diploma or an equivalent to work as an EMT.
- You also need to have at least up to 2 years of licensed training.
- You must earn a passing result in your EMT exam and get a license issued from your state.
Getting a job as an EMT isn’t difficult because EMTs are literally life savers who respond first to emergencies and provide medical assistance. So, as many as there are, we always need more of you!
Here are some situations where EMTs are needed:
- Hospital emergency rooms are mostly crowded and occupied therefore; patients end up staying longer in the ambulance while EMTs and physicians provide further medical assistance. Sometimes, after arriving at the hospital and seeing that it is crowded, EMTs will transport patients to another hospital (possibly nearby) that has more space.
- EMTs are always needed at emergency situations to save a life. Be it a fire accident, a car crash or an asthma attack. EMTs are the first ones to respond to the 9-1-1 call and immediately rush to the scene.
How to find a job as an EMT?
Well, if you live in a large city then you are quite lucky because it is very easy to be employed as an Emergency Medical Technician. All you need to do is, check around for opportunities and apply for the one most suitable for you. Similarly, wherever you may be in the world, if you’re applying for a job as an EMT, you’re literally applying to be a hero and you shall always be successful!
The job opportunities for Emergency Medical Technicians are increasing over the years as more medical assistance is required. So, worry not, and go ahead! Study hard, get that degree and earn you certificate & license! The world needs more heroes like you!
These are just some ways of finding a job as an Emergency Medical Technician;
- If you are a certified EMT, the chance of getting a job is highest. Therefore, you must pass the EMT exam and gain a certificate in order to get a job as an EMT. You must keep this in mind before applying.
- More EMTs are needed since hospitals sometimes get quite crowded and EMTs assist physicians to provide treatment in the ambulance or transport the patient/s to another hospital that has more space. Isn’t this great news? More job opportunities!
- Transporting patients to the hospital in an ambulance is one of the biggest and most important jobs of an EMT.
- EMTs can do a variety of jobs once employed. Other than helping to transport patients to a hospital, they can help around in National parks, summer camps; recreation centers such as kids play areas and several more venues.
- EMTs can become instructors for junior students. They can train and guide them according to their experiences.
- There are various options also available online for EMT jobs. You could just browse through and apply for any that suits you. You may find one right in the same area where you live or just in the city next to yours. Larger cities usually have more people and thus many more opportunities.
When applying for a job as an Emergency Medical Technician, there a few guidelines that may help you:
Firstly, you must be certain that being an EMT is the kind of job that you have been looking for and the kind of job that you have always wanted. Being an EMT requires a lot of dedication.
You need to; be ready to be the first to respond to various kinds of emergency 9-1-1 calls such as crimes, murders, car/motorbike accidents, heart attacks, asthma attacks and others.
Once you arrive at the scene, your duty is to stabilize the patient’s situation until you can transport them to a hospital. You may need to; provide CPR, control bleeding if it was a major accident or even bandage injuries.
You might also need to make further assessments into the patient’s situation, try to figure out what happened and how it happened or check the patient’s history etc.
To get a job as an EMT, you must complete an associate’s degree and pass the National EMT certification exam. You also require a license and certification.
It is essential to have good communication skills because you need to be in contact with other EMTs and physicians while transporting patients to the hospital. You also need to have perfect knowledge about what exactly an Emergency Medical Technician needs to do; what your duties and responsibilities are, what your employer requires from you and most importantly you need to commit yourself to your job in the sense that you may be called at any hour of the day to save a patient’s life or transport a patient to the hospital. You need to have perfect knowledge of how medical equipment works and what kind of medication is supposed to be prescribed at what time.
Wishing you all the best in looking for a job! We hope the guidelines above are helpful for you.