A résumé is a document used and created by an individual to present their background, skills and accomplishments. They can be used for a number of different reasons but mainly used when applying for a job. It contains a summary of relevant job experience and education. Information usually required for a resume includes; your job role, your key skills and strengths, your achievements, professional experience, education and qualifications.
For an Emergency Medical Technician, here are some necessary points that you need to include in your resume:
Education. A high school diploma must be completed so as to consider you as an EMT.
License and Certification. A degree of the different levels, Basic, Intermediate, Advanced and Paramedic. Each course takes up to 6 months to complete but it is very necessary for you to get that license. Even though every state has different requirements for EMTs but taking the license exam is essential everywhere.
Physical Fitness and Strength. Physical strength for an EMT is very important because in some emergency situations, you may be asked to carry or transfer a patient who cannot move or may be disabled or paralyzed. In some situations, you may also need to lift heavy equipment from the ambulance to where the patient is. Working hours for EMTs is uncertain; in some jobs you may need to work the overnight shift and you can go home early in the morning.
Performance under pressure. This assesses how your work is under pressure situations. If you are calm or rash, how well you use the little time that you have. In some cases, you may need to rescue someone from a burning house or you may need to help a woman to deliver. Every emergency situation is different and you have to be able to maintain calmness whatever the situation may be.
Outstanding Interpersonal Skills. EMTs mostly work in teams therefore communication is the most important factor so that everyone is on the same page i.e. everyone is aware of what is going on. You may also come across victims who are in a state of shock or trauma; you need to be able to deal with these situations calmly and assure the victims that they will survive the trauma.
It is very essential to place the key skills that you possess in your resume because these skills show the employer your potential and your commitment for the job that you are applying for and increases your chance of being selected for the job. While some skills are particular for a job, there are some that are required for every job and these are known as “soft skills”. Soft skills are personal characteristics that enable someone to interact effectively and cooperate with others. Soft skills include social skills, communication skills, personal characteristics, career attributes and social intelligence.
Here is an example of key skills that you can put on your resume as an EMT:
- Communication skills. Good and strong communication skills are essential because EMTs are constantly in contact with staff at the hospital etc.
- Being physically and mentally strong. In some situations, you may need to carry a patient on to the stretcher or to the ambulance therefore you require to be physically strong. You may also need to deal with trauma or shock in some situations and thus require mental strength so that you are able to deal calmly with the situation.
- Problem solving skills. EMTs must be able to assess what’s wrong with the patient and provide proper treatment or medication.
- Compassionate. EMTs must be emotionally strong and be able to provide emotional support to patients or victims in an emergency, especially patients who are in a situation between life and death or patients who are traumatized.
- Listening skills. EMTs need to carefully listen to patients so that they are aware of what is going on and what might have led to the current situation. They will therefore be able to provide proper treatment.
- Interpersonal skills. EMTs usually work in teams and must be able to remain calm and coordinate in emergency situations.
A typical EMT’s resume also includes personal details such as your name, address, phone number, email address etc.
Below is an EMT resume format that may help you when applying:
- Contact information; phone number and email address.
- Goals and objectives
- Your personal strengths
- Work experience
- Certification and licenses
- Your personal information; marital status, birth date etc.
It also contains your goal including your work experiences. You can also mention about your physical strength and your commitment to the job as an EMT.
It is essential to mention your personal strengths that are ideal for being an EMT. These can include; how well you can work under pressure, your physical fitness and excellent teamwork skills.
Your work experience. This needs to include your previous job details like how long you worked there and what your job was.
Your education. This must include your certification and professional licensing because that is a key factor to being accepted as EMT. It is also essential to put in your high school education.
Finally, you can add some personal information such as your marital status, your date of birth and your hobbies. These will help as extra details for the employer to see and provide necessary guidelines.
Wishing you all the best writing your resume 🙂